Impact Entrepreneur Center for Social and Environmental Innovation
The berkshires, U.S.A.
The Impact Entrepreneur Center for Social and Environmental Innovation is a regional & global epicenter for entrepreneurs, investors, scholars and students of social and environmental impact, as well as others passionate about creating, accelerating and scaling profitable enterprises that drive measurable, impactful change. IEC is active in education, incubation and the overall building of the social impact space — partnering with thought-leading companies, organizations and institutions in an effort to transform the business landscape so that it is more responsive to the epochal social and environmental challenges facing humanity.
There are three parts to IEC's mission:
- Remote learning & resource hub and research partner for the rapidly growing Impact Entrepreneur Network;
- Year-round gathering place for thought-leading impact entrepreneurs and impact investors in the Northeast corridor (including New York City and Boston) of the United States; and
- Epicenter for the development of replicable models of "regional, place-based impact economies" (see below for more information).
The Center has launched a program series, XVii, that engages world-class entrepreneurs, investors and scholars in developing and incubating place-based as well as globally scalable business solutions to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
IEC is also pioneering two new economic development models — the "Regional Impact Economy" and “Public Benefit Enterprise Zone.” Regional impact economies emphasize "place-based" development and are distinguished by an abundance of double and triple bottom line businesses that are fueled by impact investments. Public Benefit Enterprise Zones (PBEZs) are a tool employed in the regional impact economy model. Containing a vital mix of "hard" and soft" incentives, PBEZs are explicitly structured to stimulate the incubation and acceleration of social and environmental impact businesses, and to attract new sources of impact investment into communities.
We are currently working to launch the first Impact Economy/PBEZ prototype in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, and consulting for impact economy initiatives in different parts of the world.
Here are some media pieces on the Berkshires project:
- Berkshire Eagle — Front page Feature
- Berkshire Trade & Commerce (Three article feature)
- Berkshire Eagle — Opinion Piece
- Tony Loyd's Social Entrepreneurship Series Podcast
- Devin Thorpe's Your Mark on the World Podcast
Here are several recent updates and blog posts on the Center's work: