Resources List for Impact Investing & Global Development Webinar
Prepared by Dr. Gillian M. Marcelle, Resilience Capital Ventures LLC
Impact investment industry: size, technical and definitional issues
1. Global Impact Investing Network (GIIN) Sizing the Impact Investing Market (this is the most comprehensive study to date on estimating the current size of the global impact investing market, which is USD 502 Billion)
2. Core Characteristics of Impact Investing
3. Global Sustainable Investment Alliance
5. IFC Report _ Creating Impact Report April 2019
6. Impact investing – definitions and frameworks, Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR) 2014
7. Economist Intelligence Unit (2018), The Impact investing continuum: inside the drivers and growth of the impact market
8. Principles of Responsible Investment PRI https://www.unpri.org
The six Principles for Responsible Investment are a voluntary and aspirational set of investment principles that offer a menu of possible actions for incorporating ESG issues into investment practice. The Principles were developed by investors, for investors. In implementing them, signatories contribute to developing a more sustainable global financial system.
9. GIIN Roadmap for the Future of Impact Investing: Reshaping Financial Markets Fullreport: https://thegiin.org/assets/GIIN_Roadmap%20for%20the%20Future%20of%20Impact%20Investing.pdf
10. Beyond Tradeoffs - investor perspectives across the continuum of impact investing
11. LeapFrog Investments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzwuDWEn9bA
12. Shahnaz, D (2000s) Conscious Capitalism Blog. Content incorporated into Oxford Saïd Business School Curriculum https://bit.ly/2CPlHfE
13. Impact@Africa –is a pan-African impact investment ecosystem development network supporting the creation of a vibrant environment for impact investing in Africa. The network functions as a collective advocacy and action platform. https://impactatafrica.org
Analysis & Commentary
14. Impact Investing’s ‘Third Phase’: What New Challenges Lie Ahead? Podcast and essay with Durreen Shahnaz and Antony Bugg-Levine. https://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article/whats-next-for-impact-investing/
15. Funding The First Widely Accepted Vision For Global Development: The SDG-Aligned Investing Landscape
16. Emily Chasan (2019) Do Good Capitalism, Bloomberg https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-11/do-good-capitalism-has-to-act-as-if-the-world-depends-on-it
17. Strengthening social justice to address intersecting inequalities post-2015
18. Michael Drexler, Abigail Noble, Erik Classon, Eric Mercep. (2014) Charting the Course: How Mainstream Investors can Design Visionary and Pragmatic Impact Investing Strategies. World Economic Forum.
Available at: http://bit.ly/Pragmatic_Impact_Investing
19. Michael Drexler, Abigail Noble, Joel Bryce. (2013) From the Margins to the Mainstream: Assessment of the Impact Investment Sector and Opportunities to Engage Mainstream Investors. World Economic Forum.
Available at: http://bit.ly/From_the_Margins_to_the_Mainstream
20. Mara Bolis, Chris West, Erinch Sahan, Robert Nash, Isabelle Irani. (2017) Impact Investing: Who are we Serving? Oxfam. Available at: http://bit.ly/Impact_Investing_Who_are_we_ Serving
21. Rethinking capitalism
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/capitalism-in-crisis-us-billionaires-worry-about-the-survival- of-the-system-that-made-them-rich/2019/04/20/3e06ef90-5ed8-11e9-bfad- 36a7eb36cb60_story.html?utm_term=.9e101f22356f&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
22. Secretary General’s Report: Progress on the SDGs – Special Edition (2019) https://unstats.un.org/sdgs/files/report/2019/secretary-general-sdg-report-2019--EN.pdf
23. International Banker (2019) Bridging the $2.5 trillion financing gap: is the private sector up to the task?
24. United Nations SDGs For more information, see: http://bit.ly/UN_SDGs_1
25. UNCTAD, Financing the SDGs Toolbox
26. Rethinking Impact to Finance the SDGs.
27. Mara Niculescu (2017) Impact investment to close the SDG funding gap. UNDP.
Available at: http://bit.ly/2KcAgAu
28. UNDP (2017) Impact investment to close the SDG funding gap. Available at: Business Solutions for the SDGs: How private sector and UN can partner to achieve the Global Goals https://www.businesscalltoaction.org/news/business-solutions-sdgs-how-private-sector-and-un-can-partner-achieve-global-goals
29. The intersection of impact investment and international development: a primer
Regional Trends: Emerging markets, Africa and Asia
30. Leapfrog’s new fund
31. UNDP - Impact Investing in Africa: Trends, Constraints & Opportunities
32. Shahnaz, Durreen and Tan, Patricia Shu Ming, Social Enterprise in Asia: Context and Opportunities (December 24, 2009). Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy Research Paper No. LKYSPP09-018-CAG006. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1546253 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1546253